Rsync 4TB datafiles...?

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Thu May 18 07:16:34 GMT 2006

On Wed, 17 May 2006, lsk <ellsatish at gmail.com> wrote:

> So this shows that RSYNC performs faster when there is no datafile is
> present. For Oracle datafiles the diff algorithm doesn't work even with the
> patch. Literally it should have taken less than 12 min to just compare and
> update the header changes but it took more than 12 min when the file is
> already present at destination(target).

Are you using the --inplace option?

If the file doesn't exist, the entire file is sent, yes, but there's
only a serial write operation needed at the destination.

If the file *does* exist, rsync must read the existing file in its
entirety while *also* writing out the new file.  The dance that the
disk R/W head might be doing in this case might slow things down, too.

> I am not going to give up I am going to try again and see...

OK.  :)

    John