Rsync 4TB datafiles...?

lsk ellsatish at gmail.com
Wed May 17 12:21:16 GMT 2006

TEST RESULTS after applying the patch "Dynamic_hash.diff" with new rsync
version 2.6.8.

The patch was installed on the source server and I tested with a 2 GB file
transfer with following options and these are the timings...

1. No DESTINATION File - 2 GB - 12 min
2. With DESTINATION File nothing changed - 2 GB - 21 min
3. With DESTINATION File header information changed - 17 min

The first 2 were tested with "rysnc -zv" and the last one with "rsync -zv
--no-whole-file"

So this shows that RSYNC performs faster when there is no datafile is
present. For Oracle datafiles the diff algorithm doesn't work even with the
patch. Literally it should have taken less than 12 min to just compare and
update the header changes but it took more than 12 min when the file is
already present at destination(target).

I am not going to give up I am going to try again and see...

Thanks,
lsk.