--include-from doesn't include

Davies, Roger Roger.Davies at swiftbrands.com
Wed May 10 18:30:32 GMT 2006

I'm trying to backup certain pieces of my XP workstations home directory
to a mapped drive using rsync on Cygwin.  I was able to create a fairly
useful exclude-from list, but I'm unable to re-include portions a subset
of an excluded directory.  My rsync command looks like this:

rsync -avn --delete --stats ~/ \
  /cygdrive/i/HRMS/rdavies/backup/home \
  --exclude-from=/home/rdavies/rsync_home_list

And the exclude file looks like this:

+ Application\ Data/IDMComp/**
+ Application\ Data/Mozilla/**
- Application\ Data/*
- Cookies/*
- Desktop/*
- Favorites/*
- Local\ Settings/*
- My Documents/Outlook/*
- My Documents/My\ *
- NetHood/*
- PrintHood/*
- Recent/*
- SendTo/*
- Start Menu/*
- Templates/*
- .DCOPserver*
- .fonts*
- NTUSER*
- ntuser*

I've tried as many variations on the include portions as I can think of.
The variations I've tried are:
Adding an initial / to the + lines (so it would read + /Application\
Data/etc...)
Different variations on the number of asterisks.  (/ or /* or /** or
/***)
Removing the final / altogether.

Nothing I have tried on the + lines has made any difference whatsoever,
the list of files to sync remains constant.

bash-3.00$ rsync --version
rsync  version 2.6.6  protocol version 29
Copyright (C) 1996-2005 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
batchfiles,
              inplace, no IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal
inums

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details.
bash-3.00$
____________
Roger Davies
PeopleSoft HRMS
970.506.7750

Important Notice:

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended only for the addressee
and may contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the addressee, you are
notified that any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing or photocopying of the
contents is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender by return e-mail immediately and destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.
Thank you.