Multiplexing overflow

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Mar 24 16:37:49 GMT 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:08:28PM +0300, ?????????? ?????????????? wrote:
> I'm using rsync v.2.6.6 (with protocol version 29).

Is this the same on both ends of the connection?  If the version of
rsync on the sending side is older than 2.6.4, I know of one protocol-
corrupting bug that might be causing this.  If it's 2.6.4 or newer, then
it's either an unknown rsync bug or a bug in the data being transported
inaccurately by the remote shell or networking code.  There is one way
figure out which of these two areas is the actual cause:

There is a program in the support dir named savetransfer.c.  If you
build that program by typing "make" inside the support dir, you can
copy the resulting binary onto both ends of the connection and run it
like this:

 /usr/local/bin/rsync -avze "/tmp/savetransfer -o /tmp/from.server ssh"
    --rsync-path="/tmp/savetransfer -o /tmp/to.client rsync"
    user at host:remote_path local_path

This makes a copy of the data that the server is sending back to the
client (receiver), and a copy of what the client actually received.  The
two resulting files should be identical (or at least only differ by the
to.client file being slightly more truncated than the from.server file).
If there is a data difference, then you have a problem with the sending
of the bytes that is outside the control of rsync.  If the bytes are the
same, you might want to contact me off the list if you'd be willing to
let me see the to.client data, or at least some portion of it from near
the end.