error in protocol stream

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Thu Mar 23 02:25:03 GMT 2006

I am trying to use the syntax:

rsync -av -e "ssh -l ssh-user" rsync-user at host::module /dest

found at http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync.html

but am getting the following:

rsync -av -e "ssh -l sshuser" rhost.asu.edu::home uc-sirc1/home/
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far)
[receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
io.c(434)

There is an rsync daemon running on rhost.asu.edu and that has a
module named home. This is a file server box with only two interactive
logins allow, both administrative, so there is no rsync username
required to connect to the module.

I have public key auth setup with rhost as well -- so ssh works
without any password prompting.

I have also tried the syntax:

rsync -av --rsh=ssh rhost.asu.edu::home uc-sirc1/home/
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far)
[receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
io.c(434)

but you see the result is the same.

I have tried using the tunnell method described at
http://www.samba.org/rsync/firewall.html

using syntax like this:
ssh -fN -l middle_user -L 8873:target:873 middle

except that I don't have a middle system. My script does this:

/usr/bin/ssh -fN -L 8730:localhost:873 sshuser at rhost.asu.edu
/usr/bin/rsync -av rsync://localhost:8730/home uc-sirc1/home/
/bin/kill -9 `/usr/bin/pgrep -lf -u natjohn1 ssh | grep "sshuser at rhost" | cut -f1 -d " "`

This works... except that for some reason the rsync daemon on the
remote host dies --- occasionally...

--
David Bear
phone: 	480-965-8257