feature request/change for 2.6.8

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Mar 16 08:57:50 GMT 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 04:55:49AM -0500, Erik Jan Tromp wrote:
> My feature request/change centers around the new RSYNC_ARG# variables.
> Would it be possible to make these available as an array

There is not a portable way to represent an array in the environment.
This means that if you want an array, you need to create it yourself.

For instance, in zsh we could do something like this to turn the args
into an array:

#!/bin/zsh
arg=()
for x in RSYNC_ARG{1..99}; do
    [ ${(P)+x} = 0 ] && break
    arg+=(${(P)x})
done
print -l $arg # prints the array $arg with one item per line

I chose to skip the RSYNC_ARG0 arg (which is always "rsyncd") because
zsh numbers its arrays starting with 1, and this makes $arg[1] the same
as RSYNC_ARG1.