rsync plus cygwin: language problems with filenames

Steve Robinson ssrobins at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 14 07:12:48 GMT 2006

I know this problem has been posted before, but I have been unable to
find a solution on this list or anywhere else on the net.  Let me review.

First, here is my setup:
OS: Windows XP Pro SP2
Rsync: 2.6.6-1
Cygwin: 2.510.2.2

Whenever I transfer any file that has Japanese characters in it, the
following message appears in the screen output:

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>rsync -avvz --delete /cygdrive/c/test
/cygdrive/c/test2
building file list ...
file has vanished: "/cygdrive/c/test/01 - ??????????.mp3"
done
deleting in test
IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion
delta-transmission disabled for local transfer or --whole-file
test/New Text Document.txt is uptodate
total: matches=0  tag_hits=0  false_alarms=0 data=0

sent 119 bytes  received 32 bytes  302.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred
(code 24) at
 /home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.6/main.c(791)

So far, this is the best explanation I have found for what may be happening:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2005-May/012599.html

Also, people have pinned it down to a Windows language setting problem:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2005-May/012611.html

I confirmed this for myself by going into Regional and Language Options,
Advanced, and choosing Japanese for the language I wanted to use in
non-Unicode programs.  Now, it will transfer the Japanese files fine.
It will also transfer most English language files.  However, it then has
a problem with accented letters, which I assume must have been part of
the English (United States) settings.

I further proved that it is very likely just a Windows problem by trying
to copy one of the files in Ubuntu Linux.  It worked perfectly with
rsync 2.6.5 and I bet it would've done the same thing with 2.6.6.

Has anyone made any progress in solving this problem?  I noticed that
the NEWS file for rsync 2.6.7
(http://www.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync-2.6.7-NEWS) discusses an
improvement in escaping unreadable characters.  Is that related to this
problem?  I'm new to cygwin and I'm not sure which binary I should be
using or whether I have to wait for cygwin to come out with it in their
own system.

I'd really like to get this to work.  This is one tiny problem in an
otherwise flawless solution to my backup needs.  Please let me know if
you have any ideas to make this work.

Thanks for reading.

-Steve