detect-renamed dosn't work?!

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Mar 2 03:07:14 GMT 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:45:53PM +0000, d.laffien at ping.de wrote:
> When I rename a file in one dir it will completly transfered

The way to notice if rsync made use of a renamed file is by looking at
the matched data vs the literal data in the --stats output.  Rsync will
always output that it's creating the missing file, but it will do it
using local (matched) data if it can.  Some items to check:

 - Make sure that the renamed file is identical to a file in the new
   transfer.  Without --checksum, it has to match in size and modify-
   time.  With --checksum, it has to match in size and checksum.

 - Make sure that the renamed file is in the transfer hierarchy.  Rsync
   will not search the whole filesystem looking for renamed files, just
   the directories that were specified in the transfer and any extra
   directories on the receiving side that are subdirectories of dirs in
   the transfer.

> Will --delete-before work due to hard-linking needed file for the
> --detect-renamed option?

Yes, --detect-renamed works with all the --delete options (unlike
--fuzzy, which only works with --delete-after).