rsync and chmoding permissions on Windows

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 13:02:53 GMT 2006

On 6/30/06, Stuart Halliday <StuartH at ecs-tech.com> wrote:
> However RsyncACL doesn't seem to do ACLs correctly.
>
> I copied a folder containing files to another on the same ntfs drive and
> some ACLs went missing on the dest. files!

As far as I know, rsync only understands POSIX ACLs.  If you tell it
to preserve ACLs when copying from one NTFS filesystem to another,
Cygwin is going to muge the NTFS ACLs into POSIX ACLs before giving
them to rsync and munge the POSIX ACLs rsync applies to the
destination back into NTFS ACLs.  I don't know the details of Cygwin's
conversion procedure, but it seems that any number of strange things
can happen.  Maybe someone should look into teaching rsync to preserve
NTFS ACLs or, failing that, to set sane NTFS ACLs on destination
files.

Matt