rsync and chmoding permissions on Windows

Stuart Halliday StuartH at ecs-tech.com
Fri Jun 30 10:45:05 GMT 2006

> The last version of cwRsync contains rsync binaries with acl support.
> May be worth to try.

Thanks for the tips.
I do use cwRsync as it is very useful. So thanks for providing it.

However RsyncACL doesn't seem to do ACLs correctly.

I copied a folder containing files to another on the same ntfs drive and
some ACLs went missing on the dest. files!

ie
I used:
rsyncacl -rAP /cygdrive/d/test/ /cygdrive/d/test2

I got this on one file after using the rsync above.
C:\>xcacls d:\test\curl.exe
d:\test\curl.exe Everyone:(OI)(CI)F
                 ECSTECH\stuart:(OI)(CI)F
                 ECSTECH\Tom:(OI)(CI)F
                 BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)F

C:\>xcacls d:\test2\curl.exe
d:\test2\curl.exe ECSTECH\stuart:(special access:)
                  STANDARD_RIGHTS_ALL
                  DELETE
                  READ_CONTROL
                  WRITE_DAC
                  WRITE_OWNER
                  SYNCHRONIZE
                  STANDARD_RIGHTS_REQUIRED
                  FILE_GENERIC_READ
                  FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
                  FILE_READ_DATA
                  FILE_READ_EA
                  FILE_WRITE_EA
                  FILE_EXECUTE
                  FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
                  FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES
                  BUILTIN\Users:R
                  Everyone:R

So I used your tip about using Robocopy afterwards.

ROBOCOPY d:\test d:\test2 /E /COPY:ATSOU

and that worked!

Though using Robocopy across the Internet between 2 Windows servers might
be tricky.