no true incrementals with rsync?

Tony Abernethy tony at servacorp.com
Wed Jun 28 18:59:35 GMT 2006

Tim H wrote:

> wayne, ok i wish it worked the way you say it did.
> maybe im stupid and im missing something, this is what i did:
>
> (using rsync 2.5.7)

OUCH!

Dunno how old that is, but probably predates a lot of stuff related to
playing games with links. (where you tend to want the very latest)

rsync --version
---and by now, this is sufficiently stale that I would update to whatever
is current before trying to find any new bugs.
Most likely it is ignoring things it doesn't understand
(arguably better than dying because of slight differences)

rsync  version 2.6.7  protocol version 29
Copyright (C) 1996-2006 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
              inplace, IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums