rsync-2.6.8 hangs on AIX

Dominik Vogt dominik.vogt at gmx.de
Sun Jun 25 07:32:37 GMT 2006

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 10:17:01AM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 03:26:40PM +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > There is another machine in between that forwards all tcp
> > packets to the target machine:
>
> I haven't used socat before, but have successfully used nc (netcat), so
> you might try switching over to that to see if the problem is socat.  If
> that is not possible, make sure that socat isn't doing any character
> conversions (e.g. it has options to affect line endings).

No, socat works fine.  Otherwise I wouldn't be able to establish a
ssh connection at all.

> > I'd love to provide that information, but I've no idea how to
> > gather it on AIX.  Any hints?
>
> Doesn't AIX have the netstat command? Running it will show you the state
> of the socket's input/output queues on whatever machine it is run on.
> This can provide a clue as to where the blockage is by looking at where
> the data is hung up.

Of course there is netstat, but my question was aiming for the
command on AIX that can be used in place of Linux' strace.

By the way, you seem to be misinterpreting the intention of my
mail.  I am *not* trying to solve the problem in our environment.
It is much too grave and too difficult to reproduce - we can not
rely on rsync at all in our system.  Instead, I am trying to help
the rsync developers to get this bug eventually fixed by providing
the requested information.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

Dominik Vogt, dominik.vogt at gmx.de