Rsync dies with "Invalid file index:" error message

Frank Fegert fra.nospam.nk at gmx.de
Sat Jun 24 21:30:06 GMT 2006

Wayne,

thanks for your prompt response!

Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 03:03:10PM +0200, Frank Fegert wrote:
>
>>i'm having a rather strange problem with rsync (v2.6.8). Rsync is run to synchronize
>>two identical, rather old Solaris 2.6 servers.
>
> I have heard of some problems with some Solaris versions of ssh, so it
> may help to install openssh.

Sorry, didn't mention it. I'm actually already using
OpenSSH:
    # ssh -V
    OpenSSH_3.7.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.6e 30 Jul 2002
little old, but should do ;-)

>>Invalid file index: 1610612736 (count=214) [sender]
>
> This number is exactly 0x60000000, so another possibility that comes to
> mind is that the byte-order messed up somehow. Look in byteorder.h and
> make sure that CAREFUL_ALIGNMENT is being defined on any system that
> uses most-significant-byte-first ordering.

Now that you mention it, the rsync actually does always fail
with the index 1610612736. I checked byteorder.h, it defines
CAREFUL_ALIGNMENT, but even forcing it - by altering the
#ifdefs - doesn't resolve the problem. 'configure' detects
the endianess correctly (this is a UltraSPARC):
    "checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... yes"

Regards,

	Frank