Data Encryption

Shachar Shemesh rsync at shemesh.biz
Tue Jun 13 08:42:36 GMT 2006

Brad Farrell wrote:

> Hi there
>

> Is there a way with rsync to encrypt data at the source before
> transmitting?  Not talking about the actually transmission, but the
> data itself.  I’ve got a few department heads that want their data
> secured before it leaves their computer so that no one in the office
> can access the data except for them.

Rsync does not encrypt the files in a way that is impossible for the
receiving machine to decrypt. There is no way (that I know) to integrate
that seemlessly into the process.

What you can do, however, is encrypt the files, and then run rsync on
the encrypted result. Touting my own horn here, have a look at
rsyncrypto (http://sf.net/projects/rsyncrypto) for an encryption scheme
that does not totally destroy rsync's wire efficiency.

> Thanks.
>

> Brad Farrell
>
> Brevell Consulting
>
> ph: 403-279-6380