Data Encryption

Matt McCutchen hashproduct at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 18:18:00 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 10:58 -0700, Chuck Wolber wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Brad Farrell wrote:
>
> > Is there a way with rsync to encrypt data at the source before
> > transmitting? Not talking about the actually transmission, but the data
> > itself.  I've got a few department heads that want their data secured
> > before it leaves their computer so that no one in the office can access
> > the data except for them.

Then again, the data is saved decrypted on the destination disk.  Maybe
the files should be individually encrypted with a symmetric algorithm on
the source before transmission.  This could be done with either a script
or the --source-filter option provided by an experimental rsync patch.

Note that typical encryption algorithms prevent incremental transfer
from identifying unchanged portions of a file; rsyncrypto does not but
I'm not sure I trust its security.

Matt