rsync: failed to hard-link error message

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jul 21 14:37:17 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 01:10:11PM -0700, Brett Hamilton wrote:
> I confirmed that CAN_HARDLINK_SPECIAL was already commented out in
> config.h, and I'm wondering if rsync should still be producing these
> errors?

The code that produces the cited error is in the function
try_dests_non() in generator.c.  With CAN_HARDLINK_SPECIAL undefined,
this code should prevent a device file from being hard-linked:

#ifndef CAN_HARDLINK_SPECIAL
	&& !IS_SPECIAL(file->mode) && !IS_DEVICE(file->mode)
#endif

I'd suggest adding some debug code inside the body of that if that
outputs the file->mode value and checking to see why IS_DEVICE() does
not match it (that's defined in rsync.h).