RSync --compare-dest

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 23:38:51 GMT 2006

On 7/17/06, Sosin <dupa_blada at wp.pl> wrote:
> rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(610)
> [sender=2.6.8]

That error message usually means that the network connection between
the sending and receiving rsync processes dropped, but it shouldn't
appear in your scenario where both processes are running on the same
computer.  Perhaps you could strace the rsync processes to get more
information.

Rsync is known to be able to handle large amounts of data.  I doubt
that's the problem, but I suppose there could be some strange
interaction between rsync and Cygwin that is causing rsync to fail in
your particular case.

If the failures seem to be random and rsync seems to always make
progress between failures, you could just use a script that runs rsync
repeatedly until it exits successfully.

Matt