How rsync works

Matt McCutchen hashproduct at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 04:56:05 GMT 2006

On 7/8/06, Grignon Mickaël <mgrignon at assonance.fr> wrote:
> Will rsync erase the byte in excess on the receiver even if the --delete
> option is not set ?

Yes.  --delete is only needed to delete entire files, not extraneous bytes.

Wayne, let me suggest the following clarification/fix to the original
document.  Mickaël, you might want to apply it to your translation.
Change the following sentence:

> In this way the generator will send to the receiver a sequence of non-matched data interspersed with matching block information.

In this way, the sender will give the receiver a description of how to
reconstruct the source file; the description consists of raw data to
write to the new destination file interspersed with instructions to
copy matched blocks from the basis file (which is usually the old
destination file) to the new destination file.

Perhaps the "basis file" should be defined earlier, under "The Generator".

Matt