High volume problem: stat: no such file or directory

Bob Robison bob.robison at swri.org
Fri Jan 20 17:49:05 GMT 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:42:09 -0800
Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 04:26:32PM -0600, Bob Robison wrote:
> > The server-side error messages occasionally report the problem
> > referenced in the subject  stat: no such file or directory.
>
> Older rsync versions would first move the file into place, and then
> chmod() the file to the right permissions.  Newer versions chmod() the
> temp file to the right permissions, and then move the file into place.
> Since you have a process that is yanking finished files away from the
> destination directory, I assume that upgrading rsync with fix this
> problem for you.

Are you suggesting that the file may have been yanked away after being moved from temp file, but before it got the permissions set correctly?  If so, I would think that the file would have been transferred properly, but just (possibly) end up with wrong permissions.  I don't think that is the case.... it seems these files disappeared (or never made it).  Do you know what the initial permissions would have been set to?

bob