using strace with rsync

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Jan 5 22:48:01 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:40:09PM -0000, Ken Senior wrote:
> but after many months of mixed results I have had much less than
> perfect luck with rsync from a Linux box [LOCAL] to a windows box
> [REMOTE]---that is, constant hanging.

This is the oft-encountered problem in cygwin:  data-loss in local pipes
(in this case data flowing between a remote shell and rsync).  You may
wish to ask about the problem on the cygwin list and see if they have
any info on when this might get fixed.  As mentioned previously, using
an rsync daemon to allow direct socket connections avoids this problem
(since no local pipes are used).