Error Code 12

Buggy Code buggycode at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 05:28:51 GMT 2006

Hi

I am new to this list - hello all.
I think I might be re asking a well trodden question but here goes....
I have cygwin set up on a Windows XP box and intend to use rsync
(version 2.6.3) as a client to push a bunch of file to a debain (Sarge)
server.
The Debain server runs a rsync daemon (version 2.6.4).
I have set up the system to use a secrets file at both ends.
When I try to my files from he XP box to Debian. The following occurs.
If the secrets file fail (ie i originally had the wrong file owner) and
manually entered the password, all file move across and receive a code
23, not all file where..  I found that all files had in fact been move
and assumed that the secrets file on the XP end caused this error.
Once I managed to find a user:group combination on the XP box that
appeared to be accepted by the rsync client, I know receive the
following error:

C:\>c:\cygwin\bin\rsync -vrt -password-file=c:\cygwin\etc\rsyncd.secrets
/cygdrive/c/Shared/Downloads/Animations sophos at 192.168.4.53::test
@ERROR: auth failed on module test
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
/home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.3/io.c(359)

And in the syslog file at the server:
Jan  5 05:27:14 aserver rsyncd[2289]: name lookup failed for
192.168.1.2: Name or service not known
Jan  5 05:27:14 aserver rsyncd[2289]: auth failed on module test from
unknown (192.168.1.2)

Any ideas of what could be causing this?
I have read the manual, (well bits of it)and think I have the
rsyncd.conf correct and the sercrets file.

Here they are:
Conf:
[test]
         path = /home/test/test1
         read only = false
         auth users = test
         hosts allow = 192.168.1.2
         secrets file = /etc/shh_secret

persmissions 600
owner root:root

Secrets:
test:password

permissions 600
owner root:root

Windows XP cygwin permission 600
Windows XP cygwin owner <my login name>:Administrators (i have admin
access )

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks
Buggy