sync 54 million files, tuning rsync?

Frank Hamersley terabite at bigpond.com
Wed Feb 15 08:07:33 GMT 2006

G'day Jerry,

Is it a once of event, or to be repeated at intervals until least up until
the old netapp device is decommissioned?

> I'm wondering if there is a way to tell rsync, go
> ahead, take each dir off the top level and fire up an
> independent rsync to do this.  It seems it's not using
> all my cpu, memory, or bandwidth (on either side) to
> accomplish the task.  I'm not sure where I'm being
> throttled, except maybe the NFS client on the Solaris
> box not being very efficient (Solaris 10, so it
> *should* be).

Prolly (network) IO bound.

Just to confirm you are transferring data from 1 old appliance to another
new one using a (third) Solaris box to do the number crunching?  If so lots
of network latency for sure.  You could improve things by staging the files
on the Solaris box (has it enough DASD?) so it at least can do local IO for
the write side.

Then once the old netapp is decommissioned, perform another migration to the
new netapp - which will benefit from local IO on the read side.  If this is
to complicated a plan ... others may have brighter ideas!