rsync command: help with windows -> unix

Peter petermatulis at yahoo.ca
Tue Feb 14 06:31:56 GMT 2006

Hi folks, I have a win2k acting as rsync client (I installed cwrsync) and
FreeBSD 5.4 acting as rsync server and I'm having trouble with basic
usage.

------------------------------
My /etc/rsyncd.conf:

log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock

[antec_win2k_mike]
   path = /vol3/antec_win2k_mike
   uid = nobody
   gid = nobody
   read only = no
   list = yes
   auth users = mmat
   secrets file = /etc/rsync/rsyncd.secrets
------------------------------

/etc/rsync/rsyncd.secrets:
------------------------------
mmat:password1
------------------------------

I have a local user 'mike' on the server with password 'password2'.

When I run this command I get my files dumped into the user's home
directory, /home/mike/antec_win2k_mike (this antec directory is created):

C:\rsync.exe /cygdrive/d/mike/* mike at servername:antec_win2k_mike

I am prompted for the server user's password 'password2' but not the
module password 'password1'.  So it's like the configuration file is not
being read.

I am starting rsync on the server like this:

# rsync --daemon --config=/etc/rsyncd.conf

What should I do here?  Anyone?

--
Peter