Rsync errors

ilushkin ilya at edpausa.com
Sat Dec 16 22:49:05 GMT 2006

Matt McCutchen-3 wrote:

> On 12/15/06, ilushkin <ilya at edpausa.com> wrote:
>> recv_generator(files/Application Data/Microsoft/Media Player,3020)
>> recv_generator(files/Application Data/Microsoft/Media
>> Player/ActivePlaylist.dat,3021)
>> recv_generator(files/Application Data/Microsoft/Media
>> Player/OfflineCDUpdates.dat,3022)
>> rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4092 bytes [generator]:
>> Operation
>> not permitted (1)
>> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(1124)
>> [generator=2.6.8]
>> _exit_cleanup(code=12, file=io.c, line=1124): about to call exit(12)
>> rsync error: received SIGUSR1 (code 19) at main.c(1095) [receiver=2.6.8]
>> _exit_cleanup(code=19, file=main.c, line=1095): about to call exit(19)
>
> OK, that level of verbosity didn't help very much.  You should trace
> rsync using strace, truss, or a similar tool to see exactly which
> write call to which file is failing.
>
> Matt
> --

Unfortunately, I'm not such an advance Unix user to do that. So far I
figured that strace is not familar to Freebsd, that I'm using. I really
appritiate your help. This bug really took most of my time at work. I wish
that thing were not that complicated. Sometimes I wish that I had some gui
Microsoft like product to play with. Well, guess God wants me to learn
things the hard way :)

Back to the thread, I noticed that rsync gives me such errors when it meets
a directory with the huge amount of files. Sometimes over 6000. I tried to
play around with one of those directories by removing the unneeded files,
and rsync did the job without any complains. But I still have lots of
directories to sychronize and there is no way I can reduce that amount of
files. I've heard that rsync can have trouble with the similar issue. Can
this be related to my problem?
Thank you!
Ilya.