2.6.9 , problem with acl patch

david macosxforme at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 00:24:49 GMT 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 6:56 PM, snowcrash wrote:

> before being warned-off ACLs on osx, this had been part of my issue,
> addresed in an earlier thread here,
>
>   http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2006-November/016788.html
>
> i'd found these symbols originate in libacl (e.g., cref
> <http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/enterpriseserver/SP1/
> i386/libacl-devel.html>),
> which i did not find on osx.
>
> i never did find the original source's home page, but _was_ able to
> extract the needed src from,
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/
> source/SRPMS/acl-2.2.39-1.1.src.rpm
>
> with,
>
>    rpm2cpio acl-2.2.39-1.1.src.rpm > acl-2.2.39-1.1.cpio
>    cpio -idm < acl-2.2.39-1.1.cpio
>    gnutar zxvf acl_2.2.39-1.tar.gz
>
> but, as mentioned, i "gave up" on acls -- not needing them atm -- and
> got no further.
>
> hth a little.

Ahh, yes. If the patches are directed at linux and not really meant
for OS X then that's a real show-stopper as the two (linux vs. mac os
x) handle ACLs a little differently.

ACL support for OS X would be - well, - mighty fine, as ACLs for OS X
Server (10.4) are quite useful and many are using them.
Here's hoping for the best !