Rsync push is slower compared to pull

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Aug 23 12:50:39 GMT 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Srinivasa Battula wrote:

> On Wed, 32 Aug 2006, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Srinivasa Battula wrote:
> >
> > >   It has been observed that rsync push mode is much slower when compared
> > > to pull (On Identical scenarios). Building/receiving file list takes
> > > almost same time. But data transfer is much slower, whose transfer
> > > ratios are ranging from 1:3 to 1:5. On pull operation data transfer
> > > speed is consistently around 3.5 MB/Sec and it reached 10 MB/Sec.
> > > However, on push the maximum it could reach is around 2 MB/Sec and hogs
> > > around 1MB/Sec. Why is this difference? Please help me on this...
> >
> > Do these identical scenarios also include changing the sender and
> > receiver
> > for both push and pull ? That would be required to dismiss the network
> > configuration/environment as the possible cause.
>
> Source and Target remain same. The way rsync is being invoked is
> different.

My question implied to urge you to test with the sender and receiver
switched. And compare those results as well. You should end up with 4 sets
of transfer speed data.

Analysing that should make clear if pulling/pushing is the cause, or if it
is the network environment (sender/receiver).

Also make sure that the tests are not influenced by other factors (eg.
other people doing exactly the same test as yours on the same
network/system :)). Doing the tests multiple times during the day may make
it more convincing to state your case.

Kind regards,