Backup Exchange mailboxes using rsync

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Thu Aug 3 13:06:30 GMT 2006

Hi,

I am not an Exchange expert, so I may have it totally wrong, but what I do is to have the ntbackup doing an online Exchange backup, then rsync this to another server over SSH.  If you do a rsync of the Exchange DB, you would have to do an offline backup, which involves stopping the services.  I use a program called 4files which you can search for on Google to delete old ntbackup files older than say 7 days, then you end up with 7 days worth of backups on the Exchange server and on the server you synced to.

Thanks,
Andrew.