[SOLVED] error compiling the latest versions of rsync

Denis Solovyov elk at elk.ru
Thu Apr 13 10:56:01 GMT 2006

DS> I'm getting the following error when I'm trying to do just `./configure;
DS> make` with the latest versions of rsync (both 2.6.7 and 2.6.8pre1):
DS> gcc -I. -I. -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Wall -W  -c lib/compat.c -o lib/compat.o
DS> lib/compat.c:171: error: conflicting types for `inet_aton'
DS> /usr/include/arpa/inet.h:74: error: previous declaration of `inet_aton'
DS> make: *** [lib/compat.o] Error 1
DS> In config.log I also see 10 following strings:
DS> ./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libiconv.so.2: cannot
DS> open shared object file: No such file or directory

Running `ldconfig` helped. I was right supposing that those two errors
were interrelated...
configure found libiconv and then did not want to "REPLACE_INET_ATON".

Sorry for the alarm, but I never collided with such behaviour before,
it was not obvious since all other software complied well all the time.

Denis Solovyov