rsync not deleting files

Tim Boyer tim at denmantire.com
Thu Apr 6 11:25:36 GMT 2006

This seems to be a common topic.  I really _have_ looked at the archives before
posting, though, and can't find anything that covers this.

I'm backing up an entire server over the net, except for a few excluded files:

echo `date` >/var/log/rsync.tolstoy

/usr/bin/rsync -avHz --stats --delete --numeric-ids --exclude=/sys
--exclude=/home/backup --exclude=/monthly /
    backup at tolstoy:/backup/chekov >>/var/log/rsync.tolstoy 2>&1

The backup works great.  However, I've got a bunch of obsolete directories in
/home which I erased.  On the target side, they're still sitting in the
directory.

Source:

[root at chekov2 log]# ls -ls /home
total 64
drwx------  10 backup backup  4096 Nov 27 21:05 backup
drwx------   2 root   root   16384 Mar 21  2005 lost+found
drwx------   4 tim    tim     4096 Mar 27 21:09 tim
drwx------   5 vpn    vpn     4096 May 28  2005 vpn

Target:

[root at tolstoy chekov]# ls -ls /backup/chekov/home
total 28
   4 drwx------    4 backup   backup       4096 Feb 18 14:58 clamav
   4 drwx------    6 backup   backup       4096 Feb 18 14:58 defang
   4 drwx------    2 backup   backup       4096 Mar 21  2005 lost+found
   4 drwx------    4 backup   backup       4096 Feb 18 14:58 lr
   4 drwx------   17 backup   backup       4096 Mar 27 21:09 tim
   4 drwx------    5 backup   backup       4096 May 28  2005 vpn

I've tried racheting up the verbosity and looking for errors, but there's
nothing telling me that it can't delete the files - it just _isn't_.

What purely obvious thing am I missing here?  Thanks much...

--
tim boyer
tim at denmantire.com