logging problems

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Apr 6 08:04:30 GMT 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:47:03PM -0400, Bartick, Brett wrote:
> When I run rsync in daemon mode invoked at a command prompt, it does
> log information in my configured log file (i.e. /var/log/rsyncd.log).
> But when I invoke it via inetd with an entry in inetd.conf, it does
> not log any information.

It does log, just not to the named log file (check your syslog).  This
was discussed on the list recently in the context of a single-use daemon
over ssh, but the bug is the same.  One patch is here:

    http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2006-March/015143.html

You'll also find this is fixed in the latest CVS version (which is
available in the latest "nightly" tar file).