how to tell what files changed?

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Wed Apr 5 06:07:48 GMT 2006

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Erik Neumann <erikn at myphysicslab.com> wrote:
> I'm new to using rsync, so far it is working well.   But I want to
> know what files rsync decided to transfer.  Using the -v option lists
> every sub-folder of my directory and lots of files.

It sounds like you are not preserving the timestamps during the rsync.
See the "copies every file" item in the FAQ:

  http://rsync.samba.org/FAQ.html

and see if that solves your problem.  You will need to do another
"full" rsync to get the timestamps synced, but after that, your list
of changed files should decrease dramatically.

    John