issues with password-file

Larry Hotchkiss larryhotch at comcast.net
Sun Apr 2 12:25:58 GMT 2006

At 09:44 PM 4/1/2006 -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 06:52:30PM -0600, Larry Hotchkiss wrote:
> > rsync -P -v -W -r --password-file=/path/secrets.rsync *
> > larry at xx.xx.xx.xx::lhotch/
>
>I assume you meant to say "test" there instead of "lhotch", since that's
>the module's name.

That is a correct assumption

> > 2006/03/31 17:45:00 [3494] auth failed on module test from unknown
> > (xx.xx.xx.xx).
>
>If you upgrade to a more modern rsync, it will mention (in the log file
>only) the exact reason that the authorization failed.  It can be any
>number of reasons, from the user "larry" not being in the daemon's
>secrets file, the password not matching, etc.  Also, older rsyncs were
>particular about the files ending with a newline (which is fixed in
>newer versions).
>
>..wayne..

Thanks Wayne, I did see mention of the newlines and I did try it having
added a newline to all my files (ie config, secrets.rsync and
rsyncd.secrets). I did forget to mention im running V2.6.4 but Im sure you
assumed that was the newest I could be using. Ill try and round up a more
current version, Thanks.

Larry.