logging problem

Julian Pace Ross julian.paceross at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 18:31:34 GMT 2006

OK I can confirm the following daemon behavior, maybe this will give further
clues...
All the following is without ssh, just straight to the daemon on port 873.

case 1) running the daemon with 2.6.7: log file specified in rsyncd.conf as
/var/log/rsyncd.log
Result: everything works fine and messages get output to the specified log.

case 2) running the daemon with 2.6.7 compiled after running patch <
log-file.diff and patch <logfix.diff, the latter being posted here yesterday
by Wayne.
Result: nothing is output anywhere. Not even the message that the daemon is
starting and listening on port 873 as usual. The rsyncd.conf file was not
touched in both cases.

I would appreciate if someone could confirm that this is replicable.
I noticed that in the log-file.diff there are some conditions of the type '
if (logfile && *logfile) ' ... maybe there is nothing being passed here?
I could try running all the other available patches but I didnt as yet since
I figured the problem has nothing to do with those...

Julian