Nulls instead of data

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Sep 24 18:58:57 GMT 2005

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 08:34:53PM +0200, Wojtek.Pilorz wrote:
> The files saved in partial directory have length equal to that of the
> original file, but the contents still contains regions with NULLs

Yes, as I said in my last email, that's what rsync does with unreadable
sections of the file.  There's nothing wrong with this action, as it
can't know what data goes in the places that it can't read.

> Should I send information from trace files?

No, you need to solve the read() errors on the source side.  Those
aren't rsync's fault, at least, not directly -- my previous email
contained instructions on how to make rsync read smaller chucks
(since you thought that might help avoid the read errors).