Nulls instead of data

Wojtek.Pilorz wpilorz at bdk.pl
Mon Sep 26 06:33:57 GMT 2005

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 08:34:53PM +0200, Wojtek.Pilorz wrote:
> > The files saved in partial directory have length equal to that of the
> > original file, but the contents still contains regions with NULLs
>
> Yes, as I said in my last email, that's what rsync does with unreadable
> sections of the file.  There's nothing wrong with this action, as it
> can't know what data goes in the places that it can't read.
I think it would be better if only the data actually read would go into
file in partial-dir; In current shape it is unusable in case of read
errors.

> > Should I send information from trace files?
>
> No, you need to solve the read() errors on the source side.  Those
I know that. I though in the meantime (before the problem is fixed) I
could use that as a good and rare test case ...

> aren't rsync's fault, at least, not directly -- my previous email
> contained instructions on how to make rsync read smaller chucks
> (since you thought that might help avoid the read errors).
>
> ..wayne..

I have not tried that yet.

Best regards,

Wojtek