"rsync: not found" error with sshwindows

Matt McCutchen hashproduct at verizon.net
Tue Oct 25 01:11:55 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 19:57 -0400, Anthony DiSante wrote:
> Actually, rsync is not the transport in this scenario, SSH is.  The Windows
> system doesn't need to have rsync installed.  I'm using rsync because I want
> to sync many files within the directory tree (not shown in my example, which
> was simplified to just foo.txt to show the error).

You need an rsync installed on both ends no matter what.  The sending
rsync tells ssh to execute another rsync on the other side; the two
processes then communicate across the ssh connection.  Each rsync
manages reading and writing the files on one end and can perform the
necessary algorithms to minimize the amount of data sent over the
connection.

It would be much more difficult to write an rsync that could operate
solely by talking to the remote shell and issuing commands like cat,
stat, and chmod, and synchronization would be several times slower.
--
Matt McCutchen, ``hashproduct''
hashproduct at verizon.net -- http://mysite.verizon.net/hashproduct/