rsync through multiple ssh hops with password authentication prompt

Manuel López-Ibáñez manuellopezibanez at yahoo.es
Sat Oct 22 00:56:03 GMT 2005

> This setup seems to work well--perhaps it could be added to the rsync
> FAQ page as Method 2b.  The only annoyance is that one might still get
> two indistinguishable "Password:" prompts; could someone tell me how to
> configure SSH so the prompt reveals the target

Well, actually, I get "Password: " prompts when a ssh into linux
machines and "user (at) hostname's password: " when I log into OpenBSD.
I have not been able to find any option to configure the prompt in man
pages ssh_config and sshd_config, so I would assume that it is an
implementation issue.

The OpenBSD machine has OpenSSH_4.1 and GNU/Linux has OpenSSH_3.9, so
maybe the introduced it between those versions. I really think it is
nice that it tells the hostname so perhaps we can ask the OpenSSH guys.
There is a Usenet newsgroup comp.security.ssh and a mailing list
secureshell at securityfocus.com

If I have time in the following weeks, I will ask them (unless someone
is really curious about this and is willing to ask soon).

Cheers,

	Manuel.