"-signs in rsync as well as in embedded ssh command

Manuel López-Ibáñez manuellopezibanez at yahoo.es
Sat Oct 22 00:13:53 GMT 2005

> The trouble is that rsync parses the "-e" command into arguments, and it
> just splits at every whitespace character without regard for the inner
> quotes.  Maybe rsync should really be calling on a shell to parse the
> command.

Really? Does this mean that any option passed to ssh is interpreted by
rsync? For example,

rsync -e "ssh  -p port -i mykey " myfile target:/remote/path/

Are -p and -i interpreted by ssh or by rsync?

Actually, I did the experiment and the -p command is taken by ssh and
not by rsync, so I understood you wrongly: what you said is that command
inside ssh cannot use shell metacharacters (", *, ?, etc). However, ...
tachan! Is it very complicated to use several -o before each option?

If you try:

rsync -e "ssh -o Port=22 -o ClearAllForwardings=yes -o ConnectTimeout=5
target" myfile :/remote/path/

It works perfectly!!

However, is there any possible scenario where the argument of -e should
be interpreted by a shell? Anyway, does the shell would understand the
nested quotes at all? If not, then even if the -e argument is
interpreted by a shell, it won't make any difference in this case, will it?

Perhaps, this might be considered to be added to rsync in the future.
Perhaps not!

Cheers,

	Manuel.

(yes, you are so cool people, that I joined the list for fun! XDD)