rsyncd: having each log file for each module

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Oct 3 18:52:39 GMT 2005

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:43:00PM +0530, Muthu wrote:
> I want to have the log files of all activity in separate files  for
> each client instead of in the global log file.Can sombody help me.

The rsyncd.conf manpage mentions that the "log file" setting is a global
one, not a per-module one.  So, the only way to have rsync output its
log messages to separate files (without changing rsync) would be to
start multiple daemons (each listening on a separate port) and have
each one only support a single module.

However, it's pretty easy to separate the log messages for a single
module out of a log-file that contains all the messages.  There is now
a (brand new) perl script in the support directory that will output
the messages for any requested module:

    http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/rsync/support/logfilter

That might make it unnecessary to maintain separate log files.  If not,
you could use the script to split up the combo log-file into separate
files (one module at a time) or improve the script to output all the
modules into separate files in one pass.