complete newbie

tony at servacorp.com tony at servacorp.com
Sat Oct 1 06:31:00 GMT 2005

man rsync
man rsyncd.conf

I would hardly consider myself an expert, but there are at least two easy ways to set up to mirror from server A to server B.

on server A, as root run rsync --daemon
where /etc/rsyncd.conf is something like
pid file = /etc/rsyncd.pid
[backup]
  path = /
  read only = true
  uid = root
  gid = root
  auth users = foo
  secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets

on server B, run something like
rsync -a foo at serverA::backup/www/ /home/backup/www/

on server B , as root run rsync --daemon
where /etc/rsyncd.conf is something like
pid file = /etc/rsyncd.pid
[backup]
  path = /home/backup
  read only = false
  uid = root
  gid = root
  auth users = bar
  secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets

on server A run something like
rsync -a /www/ bar at serverB::backup/www/

Life might get "interesting" if you are running both methods simultaneously. Even then, any glitches should be straightened up quickly.

My own use is more on the lines of offsite backups and transfers, often over poor or undependable internet connections. You may find that rsync is a good way to use excess disk capacity.