rsync not running

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri May 27 01:14:25 GMT 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 04:52:25PM -0500, Jason King wrote:
> rsync -av projects.informs.com:var/lib/mysql /home/portalsbackup/informs/
> I dont' understand because I can ps -aux | grep rsync and I can see the
> rsync daemon running. Anyone have any ideas?

You aren't trying to talk to the rsync daemon, you're trying to connect
via a remote shell.  Remember that an second -v is always enough to see
what rsync is trying to do -- i.e. if it is running a remote shell or
opening a port to an rsync daemon.

See the man page for the daemon syntax (look for the double colons):

    http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync.html

You'll also need to use a module name in that command (unless "var" was
a module name listed in the daemon's config file).