how to reduce rsync system usage

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu May 26 18:12:15 GMT 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 06:16:03PM +1000, dtra wrote:
> yes, i'm using a the daemon on the host
> the rsync call is
> nice -n 19 rsync -a remoteuser at example.com:/path/to/vhosts/site
> /path/to/bak/

That call does not make use of a daemon -- that would require :: instead
of : (and an appropriate module source name).  That command pulls files
using a remote shell (you'll need to check your config to know which one
is the default or configured via RSYNC_SSH), so you'll need to either
add your own single-use locking in the pull script, or you'll need to
switch over to using the daemon syntax for the source.  That command
changes the receiving processes to run at nice 19 -- see my previous
message for a way to make the sending process also get nice-ed (if
needed).

> i'm not sure i'm even using ssh, i am running it as a cron job, with the
> above command (with all absolute addresses of course)
> how do i use a different algorithm?

If you want to change ssh's algorithm, see the ssh docs.  If you don't
need encrypted communications, switching over to daemon mode will be a
less-CPU-intensive choice.