how to reduce rsync system usage

dtra dtra at faceyoursfears.com
Thu May 26 08:16:03 GMT 2005

Wayne Davison wrote:

>On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 05:06:24PM +1000, dtra wrote:
>

>>does running the daemon with nice affect the receiving server?
>>cos that's where the main problems lie
>>

>Obviously, using nice on the daemon affects just the daemon (if you're
>using a daemon -- you still didn't say for sure).  So, I have no idea
>whether this affects the receiving server because you didn't specify
>enough information to tell us what exactly you're trying to do (and I'm
>sorry, but I'm tired of guessing at the moment).
>
>Other CPU-related items:
>
>Using ssh for a transfer increases the CPU load quite a bit, especially
>for slower processors.  If you don't need it, you may want to either
>work out a configuration that doesn't use it, or configure ssh to use a
>faster encryption algorithm, such as blowfish.
>
>Also, keep in mind that the rsync algorithm trades CPU for decreased
>network use, and if you're transferring over a fast network, you should
>try using the --whole-file option instead.
>
>..wayne..

yes, i'm using a the daemon on the host
the rsync call is
nice -n 19 rsync -a remoteuser at example.com:/path/to/vhosts/site
/path/to/bak/
i'm not sure i'm even using ssh, i am running it as a cron job, with the
above command (with all absolute addresses of course)
how do i use a different algorithm?

both servers are on ev1 servers, rackshack
so perhaps i could use the whole-file option

dave