rsync file sync by priority

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu May 26 18:01:51 GMT 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 02:02:38PM -0700, Melanie Pai wrote:
> I'm looking for a switch(es) to ensure rsync indexes the pull of files
> from remotedir, LIFO (last in first out) and then by .ext type where
> file basenames are similar.

There is no support for changing the order that rsync transfers the
files within a single transfer.  See the atomic-rsync script that comes
with rsync (in the "support" dir) for one way to make all the updates
happen at the same moment:

    http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/rsync/support/atomic-rsync

See also the --delay-updates option introduced in version 2.6.4 for a
way to make the updates happen rapidly at the end of the transfer (but
not as atomically as the atomic-rsync script implements).