Mysterious (bogus?) rsync(d) errors -- (code 23) at main.c(1045)

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Thu May 19 04:39:35 GMT 2005

Folks,

(1) Please pardon me if this is something stupid, but I've googled like mad
and not figured it out (the other reports of this error don't seem to apply
to me)
(2) I would be thrilled to hire an rsync expert to troubleshoot this for me,
so offer if you are one.

The setup:
I have 2 identical RHAS3u4 servers, running linux 2.6.10.
On a nightly basis, we are rsyncing all of the database files on both servers
which are in identical file locations.   The same users, with the same UIDs,
exist on both servers
rsyncd.conf is further down this message

On trying sync'ing by both the "push" and "pull" methods (i.e. either by
copying from the local directories to the other server's rscynd, or the other
way), we are getting mysterious failures to rsync.
The command line used is:
/usr/bin/rsync --perms --owner --group --times --recursive --safe-links
--delete-after  server2::postgres-data /pgdata

Which transfers a whole bunch of data, and then gives these failures:
chown . : Operation not permitted
skipping non-regular file "pgdata/base/17521/pgsql_tmp"
skipping non-regular file "pgdata/pg_xlog"
chown . : Operation not permitted
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(1045)

I really can't figure out what could be causing this; all of the files being
copied are owned by the "postgres" user.  What is it trying to chown?   I've
turned off all database processes to prevent the files from being modified
during transfer.  And nothing is being logged to /var/log/messages for the
error.  And it appears that all files actually transferred.  To make it even
more mysterious, rsync works sometimes.

Any help is appreciated; we're already past deadline!

Rsyncd.conf
--------------------
       uid = nobody
       gid = nobody