Mysterious (bogus?) rsync(d) errors -- (code 23) at main.c(1045)

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Thu May 19 05:40:24 GMT 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Josh Berkus <josh at agliodbs.com> wrote:

> The command line used is:
> /usr/bin/rsync --perms --owner --group --times --recursive --safe-links
> --delete-after  server2::postgres-data /pgdata
>
> Which transfers a whole bunch of data, and then gives these failures:
> chown . : Operation not permitted
> skipping non-regular file "pgdata/base/17521/pgsql_tmp"
> skipping non-regular file "pgdata/pg_xlog"
> chown . : Operation not permitted
> rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(1045)

A little more info would help.

Which version of rsync are you using (on source and target)?

What is the output of "ls -ld /pgdata" on both machines?  I suspect that
on the target it was created with non-postgres userid.

What is the output of "ls -l" for the two "non-regular" files?
--
        John Van Essen  Univ of Minn. Alumnus  <vanes002 at umn.edu>