does rsync run as a service?

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Tue May 17 12:08:40 GMT 2005

dtra wrote:
> hi all
>
> sorry for the question, but i can't seem to find information on this
> i'm a linux novice, we are looking to do web server backups
> i'm using redhat 9, rsync 2.6.4 (among others, rhel3 as well)
> but is rsync always checking for changes
> or does it only run when invoked from the command line (if this is the
> case, can it be run as a service, and would this be practical if there
> are constant file uploads)?
>
> one more quick question, do different versions of rsync work together?
>
> thanks
> dave

rsync can run as a daemon on the box that you want to store or retrieve
files from, by issuing "rsync --daemon" google "rsync server setup".

But to answer your question, NO rsync does not automatically back things
up, it's a utility that you can write a script around, and schedule.
There is one I've been playing with called "Snapback", go to
search.cpan.org and search for "snapback".

As far a different versions of rsync playing well together, my guess is
yes, as long as you use the common set of options and functionality
between the two versions.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Jay