rsync via tunnel - 3 boxes separated by internet

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Sun May 15 22:59:32 GMT 2005

Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 02:33:15PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
>
>>BoxA --internet-- BoxB (accessable only by ssh) -- BoxC
>

> What about this?
>
>     rsync -av --rsync-path="ssh BoxC rsync" BoxB:/source/ /dest/
>
> This command looks like it is copying a file from BoxB, but the remote
> command run on BoxB to start rsync really contacts BoxC and runs the
> remote rsync there, so "/source/" is coming from BoxC.
>
> ..wayne..

oops, didn't reply to the whole list:

I was hoping it would be something simple like that but I'm getting an
error I don't understand.  It occurs after I've entered the proper
password (the passwords are the same on boxb and c)

jstrauss at debian:~$ rsync -av --rsync-path="ssh 192.168.5.1 rsync"  \
192.168.5.30:/home/jstrauss ./jay
jstrauss at 192.168.5.30's password:
Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(420)