pauses sync'ing between tmpfs and disk on Linux 2.4.x

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at digitalpath.net
Wed Mar 23 23:47:18 GMT 2005

[root at chicomon report_log]# free
Mem:       2068172     876296    1191876          0      76796     654944
-/+ buffers/cache:     144556    1923616
Swap:      1020116          0    1020116

No swap in use... however, keep in mind that this is a tmpfs filesystem which
I know differs from a ramfs in that it can be swapped.  However, one would
think this would show up in the 'free' output above which it does not...

However, maybe my understanding of that is incorrect.  I could switch to an
actual ramfs filesystem to eliminate swapping as a possibility.  However, that
would require a reboot unfortunately so I'd have to try it later. :-)

Should have mentioned that this is a Fedora Core 1 system running Kernel
2.4.22 (from Fedora Legacy project).

Thanks for the response.