mkstemp fails but data still transferred

Steve Harris sharris at myra.com
Tue Mar 22 20:45:51 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I'm running rsync version 2.6.3  protocol version 28 on Solaris 8 and am
having a problem.

We have some scripts that wrap around rsync and generate a list of files
to transfer from the sending system (regardless of whether that directory
exists on the receiver).  I was expecting rsync to fail when transferring
files with a path that doesn't exist on the receiver (in fact that's
what I want it to do and I'm not worried about error messages).

What seems to be happening is that even though the directory doesn't exist
and the temporary file can't be created the data is transferred but
not written anywher e.g.

/usr/local/bin/rsync --stats -lptgoDvxe ssh
sender:/source_dir/ORACLE/dsk03/ORACLE/DIR/somefile.dbf
/dest_dir/dsk03/ORACLE/DIR/somefile.dbf

rsync: mkstemp "/data00/dsk03/ORACLE/DIR/.somefile.jDaGKh"
failed: No such file or directory (2)

Number of files: 1
Number of files transferred: 1
Total file size: 839917568 bytes
Total transferred file size: 839917568 bytes
Literal data: 839917568 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 69
Total bytes sent: 36
Total bytes received: 840020225

sent 36 bytes  received 840020225 bytes  2654092.45 bytes/sec
total size is 839917568  speedup is 1.00
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(1146)

An lsof of the rsync processes showed that no file was opened (apart from
stdin, stdout, stderr and some sockets) that looked like the destination
file.  However a snoop confirms that data was being transferred from the
sender to the receiver.

I guess what I'm getting at is that if rsync can't create the temporary
file shouldn't it just bail ?

Any info would be greatfully received.

Cheers - Steve